Monday 13 May 2013

59 Rivoli.

Whilst living in Paris during the bitterly winter months, I constantly found myself looking down. This served two purposes, to shield myself from the viciously cold air and to watch I wasn't going to bail on some slippery pavement slab. With this in mind, it was just the other day when I was with MP and casually glanced up to see a building decorated on the outside with what looked like rubber gloves. "What on earth?!" I hear you say  and don't worry that was exactly our reaction but all the same we decided to find out exactly what on earth it was. 

It turned out that 59 Rivoli is a working exhibition basically meaning that artists are at work as well as displaying their creations. As well as promoting painters, sculptors, designers and all the other wacky creators who seem to loom around each corner, 59 Rivoli also offers live music every weekend at 18h, (6pm). The building has six floors each with a completely different set of artists all occupying designated areas but believe me, they make the most of the space they're restricted to. There wasn't a piece of wall space, floor space or ceiling place untouched by colour, words or posters. 

I really let loose with my camera, snap happy is just an understatement but it really was a hive of inspiration. 


 If you look closely, you can just about make out the hanging gloves in an array of colours. 





Yoghurt pot madness. 




Work in progress. 

 THE hanging gloves. 



 Water filled floating light bulbs, 







 I think this piece was my personal fave. So much colour and action going on all on a huge map. 







 Paris Fashion Week. 



Apologies for the photo overload, I hope I don't ruin it in any way for those who are planning a visit to this wonderful world of weird, wacky and simply off the wall art. It's open every day apart from Mondays and entry is free! Look out for the hanging gloves, you can't miss them as long as you're not looking down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment